In 2017, the Alsalamat family fled civil war in Syria arriving in Sault Ste. Marie as refugees. Since then, there's been plenty of change in their lives: A new language, new schools, new jobs. Nearly three years later - the family couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Ontario Hubs field producer Jeyan Jeganathan hears their story of flight, arrival, and settlement.
January 22, 2020 - 8:01
- January 22, 2020 - 30:30Foreign affairs experts discuss Canada's response to the plane crash shot down by an Iranian missile that killed 57 Canadians.
- January 21, 2020 - 19:47Gary Crawford, Toronto's budget chief and Shelley Carroll, the city's former budget chief, discuss municipal budgets during a time of cutbacks.
- January 21, 2020 - 34:26Benjamin Dachis, Enid Slack, and Jennifer Pagliaro discuss how Ontario's municipalities will finance their futures to ensure they thrive as they grow.
- January 20, 2020 - 57:24before a live audience on an issue about which many people feel strongly in an age of increasing economic inequality.
- January 17, 2020 - 24:28The Agenda reviews its top stories, from GTA growth, happiness at work, political inaction on climate change, and fostering children's well-being.
- January 17, 2020 - 8:21TVO's eastern Ontario Hub journalist David Rockne Corrigan discusses his research on the growing incidences of student-on-teacher violence in Ontario's elementary schools.
- January 17, 2020 - 21:30Ontario Education Minister Stephen Lecce discusses the state of contract negotiations between the government and the province's four teachers' unions.
- January 16, 2020 - 19:15UNICEF ambassador Bayan Yammout talks about her childhood experience in war-torn Beirut.
- January 16, 2020 - 34:14Can the world improve its record on children's ability to be healthy and thrive in the next decade.
At an event this week, three of Canada’s most prominent former MPs peeled back the curtain on the realities of being a woman in politics.
ANALYSIS: The federal Conservatives are a unique coalition of disparate interest groups. Which candidate can bring them all together?
What's on This Week
MonJan 20Should Billionaires be Taxed out of Existence?Will higher rates of taxes for the world's ultra-rich solve the economic inequality that exists across the world? Steve Paikin addresses this hot topic in the inaugural edition of TVO Debates.
TueJan 21Optimizing Municipal Finance; Political Blind DateHow can Ontario municipalities achieve financial sustainability when faced with infrastructure and asset- management challenges? Then, Gary Crawford, Toronto's budget chief, and Shelley Carroll, the city's former budget chief, kick off the third season of TVO's Political Blind Date by taking a close look at how to best manage a budget shortfall after provincial funding cuts.
WedJan 22Iran Plane Crash AftermathThe Agenda addresses some of the questions that remain about Iran's downing of a Ukrainian plane which claimed the lives of 57 Canadians.
ThuJan 23New Animal Protections; Horse Racing in OntarioAn in-depth look at a new animal welfare system now in force in across the province. Then, what is the state of racetrack operations in Ontario and what does the future hold for the province's horse-racing community?
FriJan 24Conservative Party of Canada Leadership RaceThe federal Conservative leadership race is officially on. How will it be different than the last one? Who are the candidates? What do they bring to the table? A panel of politicos discuss the state of play in the lead up to the March 25th decision. Then, Ontario Hubs journalists discuss their stories. And, a review of the week's top news.